Friday, September 5, 2008

Piazza del Lorenzo

Today we had orientation for school, which starts next Monday. I'm not sure if I'm mentioned this yet, but my school is called Lorenzo de' Medici, and as I have learned, Medici is a very famous Italian name/family. The orientation was pretty interesting, and we learned about school clubs that we can join and extra activities that are available to us through school and other places throughout Florence. I think my roommates and I are are going to join the Volunteer club. We'll be able to volunteer in homeless shelters and other areas around the city. Taylor (my fellow Bethel friend) and I are hopefully going to be able to volunteer at the local churches in Florence. On that note, I'm also thinking of joining the "Slow Drink Club." Haha, now don't get any ideas here, it's an educational club on wine, with two wine tastings throughout different parts of Italy. That way, I can bring back tons of useful information to the vino drinkers in my life :) But we'll see...
Alright, now the title of this entry is Piazza del Lorenzo, and you may be asking yourself, "what the heck is a piazza?" Well, I'll tell you. All throughout Florence, you'll find piazzas, and they are like centers of each neighborhood, where events happen, restaurants are found, and my favorite, markets! It is also and Italian law that noise level in apartments go down after 10:30, and if you would like to continue to "party" you have to take it to the piazza. Capishe? (do you understand?) Well, I think I've discovered one of my favorite piazzas! It is right by school, which is perfect because I'll get to go through it everyday to and from class. And, it is called Piazza del Lorenzo, and I just really think I'm going to spend a lot of time there, which is exciting.
A few minor details...my roommates and I made our first meal last night in the apartment, spaghetti, which was wonderful; however after doing the dishes and draining the water, it started to leak and flood into the kitchen! So I mopped it up, and we're crossing out fingers that it won't happen again :( It has also taken me a long time to get adjusted to the locks in Italy. It's pretty sad actually. It took me until last night to be able to get into my apartment without help. But, okay, in Italy, when locking/unlocking a door, you have to turn everything like two or three times, and EVERY LOCK IS DIFFERENT. So, naturally, I get confused because we have to unlock three doors to get into our apartment. But yeah, I'm getting it, finally. So the rest of today will consist of us going to the food market in our neighborhood and getting some things for the apartment, like tp, and then we're going to attempt to make dinner in the apt. again...ciao!

4 comments:

Leah Dahl said...

oOh Laursie it sounds like you are already having so much fun! I cant wait to come visit you so you can whip me up some home made tirimasu!!

Lindsey said...

Definitely do the wine class! You will learn to appreciate it later in life, when you're mature enough to handle alcohol in the states :) And Cristiano, my ex-coworker, told me to tell you "Grazie e bevi molto vino!"

Anonymous said...

Ciao Lauren, Cool, you didn't know we knew Italian. Awesome to have the blog, and for you keeping us current on what's happening. we're just heading out to our favorite fountain... at D'Amico in Golden Valley. And this wine tasting class, any credits offered? If so, go for it!!! We could use additional education on Italian wines. This is our first time ever blogging, yes we are from Mars.
l'amiamo,
Dad and Nance

Kelly Martin said...

LAURZ..

keep writing cuz i practically check it everyday! sounds like a dream! wow! i wish i was there! miss you tonz